Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Basic: Holy Spirit

In continuation with my Basic Series adventure with my college n' careers group, we watched the third video: Holy Spirit. This video talks about who the Holy Spirit is and some thoughts on why the Holy Spirit we read in the New Testament doesn't seem to be present today in our churches. Here are just a small amalgamation of some thoughts my group mates and I after viewing the video.

Is it just me, or have we sort of cheapened the person of the Holy Spirit? What I mean is, why is it that we talk about the Holy Spirit when we're in church, and we have this predictable nature with our services that nothing about it seems to be supernatural, if natural at all. Why doesn't the presence of the Holy Spirit not appear or sound similar to something like what the Apostles experienced in Acts?


"Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them." - Acts 2:2–4 (NIV)

Perhaps this has more to do with our desire to control everything in our lives. We like knowing what is coming first and have this order set in place. Or look at this lack in the Holy Spirit another way: are we often looking more inward rather than looking toward God? Are we still leaning toward the "wide road" with everyone else, or are we going to the narrow one, "the road that few people take" (reminds me of Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken). I know I tend to struggle with my own insecurities and forget that God is in control. So, I'm going to be praying that God will strengthen me and continue to transform me by renewing my mind. I need to let the Holy Spirit lead me through its conviction and holy, transforming power.

Another thing to note is that having the Holy Spirit with us is a gift, a promise that Jesus gave:

"And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever - the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you." - John 14: 16-17 (NIV)

The way that Frances Chan put it was that this was better than having Jesus physically on Earth since the resurrection, Why do you ask? The Holy Spirit is our advocate (some manuscripts would say "counsellor"). He will convict us of sin and lead us in the right direction. This is much better than us leading ourselves, since Jesus is a better driver than I could ever be; that is why I have to let Him lead me, let him take control of my life because I cannot follow Jesus alone. This is also the same reason why Jesus built the church. That is the amazing thing: everything is connected...in love (God's love, that is). This is who helps us in building our faith.

That's all that I will discuss about the Holy Spirit discussion. It was a very good one that we had. I'm also hoping that God will draw us closer to Him as we continue to seek Him and His heart, and continue to grow in faith and maturity.

No comments :

Post a Comment