Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Islands and Vines

I am made to be in a community.

Just think about that for a moment - you and I - we - are made to be relational. It's amazing that God had instilled in us from the beginning that notion of belonging somewhere or with someone that only He can completely fill and fix. After all, He is the embodiment of the perfect relationship - the Trinity: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Because I believe that Jesus died and rose again for my sins, and have accepted Him into my life, I am in a relationship with Him; this also means that I am a part of a community bigger than myself.





Lately this month, I have been listening to a new song that was released by Tenth Avenue North called, "No Man is an Island". It's off of their Islands EP and is a very well-written song. I like that it expresses what God would be telling us about being a community, about having relationships with each other that are centred on the kind of relationship that we are striving to have with Him. In a video journal that was posted on YouTube, Mike Donehey, who is the lead singer in the band, creates a visual devotional that ties together with the song, saying that it's easy to live on our own islands but we also need to learn to get off of those islands and come to the shore and live life together.



This whole notion of community reminds me of Jesus' teaching in the beginning of John 15. He said that He is the true vine and that if we remain connected to Him as His people, we would bear fruit, meaning that our lives will become more abundant when we continue to come to God, worship Him with our lives and tend our ears to His words, and therefore, His commandments and promises.

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15:5 NIV)

So what will you do next? Will you remain on your lonely island all the time, or will you go out to the shore where the party of life is happening? Will you take on God's word and shre life with the other members of the Church or will you try to live life for yourself? I know where I'll be going, and as I move on with my choice, I pray that this inspires you and that the Spirit will move you to where He needs you to be.

Peace and love,

Alex

No comments :

Post a Comment