Pages

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

#HardTimes – How Music Shaped My Life

I'm back, baby!

After a long break, I have decided to try to get back to writing, and it might be a bit more music heavy as I find that music is very special to me. What I mean to say is, music has this influence in my life, as it allows me to be more authentic and expressive, and it helps me get through the day. And there are a lot of songs that I find to be encouraging and reflective during rough or hard times. I've listed a couple of my favourites below.

Also in reflecting on these songs, there are various verses that come to mind (Note: this is only a few selected pieces and verses that came to mind to me, personally):
  1. Romans 8:37
  2. 1 Timothy 6:12
  3. Romans 8:31
  4. Ephesians 6 (Armour of God passage)

Warriors - Colton Dixon [Identity - 2017]

I’ll openly admit, this song allows me to channel my inner fighter, but it also reminds me about how God is with me, especially in the spiritual warfare that is going on in the world. I’ll often listen to this song when I’m on my way downtown to join my friends for Supper with Strangers, a street ministry that some friends of mine started to build community with the local panhandlers. I love the imagery that Dixon uses of being a warrior, and how God is on our side, making us more than conquerors through him.


Hard Times – Paramore [After Laughter - 2017]

Hard Times is a very vibrant rock song with an 80’s vibe, but the lyrics contrast the upbeat tempo; it talks about what it’s like to be in a rough patch in life, and that the person is just getting by. Looking back, I can connect with what’s being conveyed. We all have hard times in life, but we can push through, stronger than ever. The lyrics are very playful on the subject matter, much in the same vein as “Ain’t it Fun,” their previous single from the band’s self-titled album. It’s a great track to dance to, and its theme brings a lot of humility into perspective.



Overcomer – Mandisa [Overcomer - 2013]

Overcomer is a very uplifting song about moving beyond the struggles in life by relying on God. This has been very helpful as I often must remind myself that God is with me through every step of my journey with him, and that he will give me the strength to break through every obstacle that comes in the way of the plans that God has for you. I hope that this song becomes an encouragement to you, too, as you continue to walk with God.

Click here for the music video. 

Conclusion

These were some of many songs that have made an impact on my life over the past few years. I've hit some bumps in the road of life (I mean, who hasn't?), but I found that music has helped to keep me grounded in my faith, and to keep pressing forward. I hope that these songs may give you some encouragement, too, but I also want to hear from you. What songs have you found to be an encouragement from God, and how have those songs helped you? I hope to see what songs come to mind.


Blessings to all,

- Alex

No comments :

Post a Comment