Pages

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Find Rest

Finding rest and peace seems to be a constant theme in my life. What I mean is, I find that I sometimes get myself worked up over many things when all I needed was rest and peace for my soul. I recently finished my fourth fall semester at the Mount before exams get written, and I know that exams, much like paper writing, can be very stressful. I also know that with the Christmas season upon us now, people are also going to be stressed over what to get their loved ones for the holiday. So, in a world full of stress and pain, how do we find rest and peace? Enter Jesus, the son of God. I know this is rather cliché, but Jesus' words in Matthew 11 come about in my head.


Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” - Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV) 

I like that Jesus opens the invitation to come before Him and that He would exchange burdens with us. Then again, isn't that kind of the same as choosing to switch places and die for the atonement of our sins? He also says that because of Him, we will find rest for our souls. I know that this is something that I need, and He is offering it out to me, knowing what is stressing me out and telling me that I'm not alone in the suffering and struggle within my life.

A song that I had come across in the past half-year was Francesca Battistelli's "Find Rest". The lyrics in this song had greatly resonated with me; it was as though God was telling me to find rest in Him. I know all of this sounds greatly similar to what I had shared last month, but I can't just let go of the anxiety and fear. I have to give it to God so that in His Spirit, I can receive the rest and peace that He offers. The lyrics in the chorus were what struck me the most and what had connected me to the passage: "Find rest, my soul; put your hope in God." This is what I have to keep reminding myself everyday. My rest is found in God, and He is my hope and salvation.



Peace 'til next time!

No comments :

Post a Comment